Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Soundtrack
Today, as part of our training, we chatted with JD, the campus chaplain. As a get-to-know-you question, JD asked what song we might include on the soundtrack of our lives. This was easy.

Several months ago, Sarah, my sister, implored me to put together a CD of my life soundtrack. I made two. So I've tried to trim it down to one, but it just ain't getting there. I've cut it down to 20 essential songs to my life story. And for this excersice it doesn't have to fit within 80 minutes.

1. "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

2. "Like I Was" by The Prayer Chain
Still I'm standing here like I was before.

3. "Zero" by Smashing Pumpkins
Intoxicated with the madness, I'm in love with my sadness.

4. "Magazine" by Pedro the Lion
Oh, look you earned your wings. Are you an angel or a vulture?

5. "And" by Waterdeep
I start looking for just one connecting force, someone to assure that we didn't lose the war today, that the battle's General is still riding on his horse.

6. "Still Fighting It" by Ben Folds
And you're so much like me... I'm sorry

7. "Pitseleh" by Elliott Smith
The first time I saw you I knew it would never last / I'm not half what I wish I was / I'm so angry / I don't think it will ever pass.

8. "Nothingman" by Pearl Jam
She once believed in every story he had to tell / One day she stiffened, took the other side / Empty stares from each corner of a shared prison cell / One just escapes, one's left inside the well.

9. "Nothing Better" by Postal Service
I've made charts and graphs that should finally make it clear / I've prepared a lecture on why I have to leave.

10. "Smoke" by Ben Folds Five
Leaf by leaf, page by page / Throw this book away / All the sadness, all the rage / Throw this book away

11. "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley
But remember when I moved in you / And the holy dove was moving, too / And every breath we drew was Hallelujah.

12. "Hold Me Jesus" by Rich Mullins
I'd rather fight you for something I don't really want / Than to take what you give that I need.

13. "Secret of the Easy Yoke" by Pedro the Lion
Could someone please tell me the story of sinners ransomed from the fall?

14. "Harder to Believe Than Not To" by Steve Taylor
You know by now why the chosen are few / It's harder to believe than not to.

15. "The Fleecing" by Pedro the Lion
I could buy you a drink / I could tell you all about it / I could tell you why I doubt it, and why I still believe.

16. "Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie
I need you so much closer.

17. "Theologians" by Wilco
Theologians don't know nothing about my soul.

18. "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls brought me here.

19. "Nice Dream" by Radiohead
They love me like I was their brother / They protect me, listen to me.

20. "Picture of Jesus" by Ben Harper
I long to be a picture of Jesus.

posted by Peter at 12:58 AM
| | permalink |