Monday, September 12, 2005
More lessons in simplicity


I'm not good with interruptions.

I got this picture as well as several other similarly themed photos from the campus security Thursday afternoon and spent the rest of the day on the phone with security, local police and the insurance company. It makes me wary when the phone rings seven times after calling 911 before anyone picked up. I'll plan on not having any emergencies in Wilmore. And neither is it a good thing when the first thing the insurance company asks is "Why do you have collision but not comprehensive?". ("You tell me that one" I reply as teeth-gritting politely as possible.)

So the passenger window is busted out. The middle console is ripped out with the CD player all mangled and ruined, dangling there. The subwoofer from the trunk was stolen. And a dozen or so burned CDs. Right know I've got the gaping hole covered with white garbage bags and green duct tape. Pretty stylin' if you ask me. All the cool kids will be doing that before you know it.

You know its going to be a good day when you spend the first hour of the day with a cop who's dusting your car over for fingerprints. This was my Friday morning. Probably the most excitement he gets in a month. Supposedly, CSI glorifies this job, so says the cop. Who knew? He finds two partials. He tells me he thinks its a local thug wannabee that he knows. He tells me he went to the kid's house and grilled for an hour the night before. "The kid's stonewallin' me," he says. Which immediately takes me to that scene in The Big Lebowski. ("Is this your homework, Larry? Is this your homework?")

Ironically, the incident probably happened around the time I was getting the House blog up and running, with the opening post about simplicity. Coincidence? Hmm.

It's just stuff to me, but dagnabbit, it sure is an irritating interruption in the middle of an already stressful week.

I watched The Big Lebowski Friday night and I'm feeling a lot better. At 8:30 am Monday I'll be getting the glass replaced.

Hopefully the rest is resolved this week.

posted by Peter at 1:21 AM
| | permalink |