Thursday, October 18, 2007
Deuteronomy 13: 10/18
This is Mona #1 and Mona #2. They hang out with Sunday morning group that's going through Deuteronomy right now. So, Mona #1 comes up to me last night and says with a wicked grin that I should ask Mona #2 about Deuteronomy. Apparently, they spent a couple hours at McDonald's yesterday dealing with these questions, and Mona #2 was just getting mad about it. What are you supposed to do went I think we're going to have a great talk Sunday morning.

It's good to wrestle with Scripture. I think it's the only way. If reading Scripture comes easy, then I wonder if I'm doing it right. I think about the story of Jacob wrestling with the angel of the Lord. And he gets his named changed to "Israel"--Wrestles with God. What a cool name. And he's left with a limp for the rest of his life.

Mona #1 asked me if I like Deuteronomy. I don't really know how to answer the question. It's not the book of the Bible that inspires me the most or captures my imagination the most, but it is a book that makes me ask questions. It's a book that makes me wrestle it down, grapple with it, and maybe in the end I'll have a limp. I'm pretty sure it's a book that will mark me in some way. I think it will mark all of us. That's what all Scripture does.

Read 13:12-18

Allegiance to the community is another important thing for these people. How does the influence of a community matter?

When others see our church, what do you think they see?

How should Christians understand these verses?

Labels: , , ,

posted by Peter at 9:40 AM
| | permalink |