Wednesday, October 10, 2007
News items
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's becoming a subconscious tick of procrastination. Last couple days, I've been wandering news websites. Here are some interesting things I found.

Here's a video clip, via CNN.com, of West Virginian Larry Gibson and his fight against mountaintop removal in his community. You can see more of Larry's work here.

From the Seattle P-I, Starbucks had it's fourth-worst 12-month period on Wall Street. Here's my favorite part...

That same month, Consumer Reports ranked McDonald's coffee ahead of Starbucks', saying it costs less and tastes better, and the Seattle P-I reported that Schultz in the previous year had shareholders pick up $1.23 million worth of perks for him despite making more than $100 million as chairman.
A) Consumer Reports is whack. There is just no way. I've had McDonald's coffee. I nearly spit it out. B) And here I thought a latte was $4 so that I could have health insurance while working part-time. But apparently Mr. Shultz ain't doing too bad out of that deal, either.

And there's no mention in the article about how I can go to every locally owned independent bakery or coffee shop and get free WiFi. But not Starbucks.

I was in Tulsa for a quick couple days last week. Lo and behold, my lovely alma mater is front page news. And not the good kind. No truth to rumor yet they're renaming the school George Bluth University.

Lastly, the NY Times reports about youth groups reaching out with Halo 3. So wide, broad question: How does the Church disciple young people through spiritual formation? How are they becoming more like Jesus?

Tim [age 14] explained the game’s allure: “It’s just fun blowing people up.”
...
Playing Halo is “no different than going on a camping trip,” said Kedrick Kenerly, founder of Christian Gamers Online, an Internet site whose central themes are video games and religion. “It’s a way to fellowship.”
...
John Robison, the current associate pastor at the 300-member Albuquerque church, said parents approached him and were concerned about the Halo games’ M rating. “We explain we’re using it as a tool to be relatable and relevant,” he said, “and most people get over it pretty quick.”
...
David Drexler, youth director at the 200-member nondenominational Country Bible Church in Ashby, Minn., said using Halo to recruit was “the most effective thing we’ve done.”


Really? This is what the Gospel looks like contextually to this group of people? This is cutting-edge, creative outreach?

Sigh.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Peter at 8:51 PM
| | permalink |