Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Changes

The meditation
Originally uploaded by PedroBlanco.
The semester is over. I'm not really sure yet what it all means. I'm not really sure what all of the past nine months mean yet. Still processing.

Spent some time with Alan over the weekend at the Abbey of Gethsemani, which is a bit over an hour away. It was a great day of relaxing, of being quiet, of watching and listening. And taking pictures, too. Alan has some, also.

I'm taking a class this June--Theological Hermeneutics. Taught by Joel Green. I get weird looks when I tell people my summer school schedule. But the truth is, I've been out in the "real world" long enough to have forgotten what the scholastic "summer vacation" is. I'm tilting my head at those going home for the summer. Does not compute.

Started reading for the class. I've seen a quote from Scottish playright J.M. Barrie to the effect, "Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else." And that's a bit how I feel. I mean, this is a part of why I came to seminary, not to take some Mickey Mouse class. So I figure it's not really school unless I'd rather be doing something else.

Tonight I met up with Wilson for the Reds/Nationals game in Cincinnati. We connected at the ticket window and there we serendipitily met a man who just handed us two tickets. Free. Nice guy.

Reds blew the lead in the 9th. They eventually won in the 14th, but by then I was well on my way back to Wilmore. It was freezing, starting to rain, and I've got a meeting at 10 am.

All that to say that thanks to the numerous fellows who declined to attend the sporting event with me, I was blessed with a good four hours of alone time in the car. I even chose to turn off the CD player on the way home, which if you know me, is a huge step. So I was quiet. To listen.

Tomorrow I can begin moving into my new room. I'm moving up a floor. What this means is I will be in my own room. Unfortunately, I'm also giving up my private bathroom for a community bathroom.

In the nine months since I last unpacked these boxes here, so much has happened. Much spiritual and emotional formation. Much that I'm still trying to form into words.

Much is changing.

posted by Peter at 1:55 AM
| | permalink |