Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Soul-winning effort
I recently received the following email from the Alumni Association where I received my undergraduate education. (Incriminating names are blotted out because, oh I don't know, it makes me feel better about posting it):

Dear Alumnus,



President *** has asked us to come up with some statistics that will give an indication of the impact that *** alumni have had on the world when it comes to salvations.



If you are involved in ministry leadership (pastor, leader of a soul-winning effort, etc.), could you give us a rough estimate of the total number of people that have come to salvation through your testimony, preaching, or influence in the past year (between April 1, 2005 and March 31, 2006)?



Thank you so much for your help, and God bless you.


There are many times when I have been grateful for the experience I gained at this place during that time in my life.

This is not one of those times.

Do you loose the bonds of injustice? Do you break yokes of oppression? Do you share bread with the hungry? Do you invite the homeless into your home? Do you cover the naked?

This is deeper than a semantic issue. This is a theological worldview that does not square with the Scriptures. Nevermind the theological hazard of "my impact on salvations." (Seriously, if I am somehow involved in anyone's salvation, my own included, I really should quit this school thing and just go pro with the salvation thing.)

My every soul-winning effort has failed miserably. For that, I am deeply grateful. Perhaps that's how I should have replied to the email.

Christ have mercy.

posted by Peter at 11:26 PM
| | permalink |