Wednesday, September 08, 2004
BC 157
Dude snores. Seriously. Roommate sounds like a drooling wildebeast. Now, I've never actually heard the grunting of a drooling wildebeast, but I am wholly convinced that it would sould exactly like Roommate when the lights are down. Two nights now of fitful sleep. This is not cool. Word on the the single room is it goes to the student with the most credit hours. Definitely not cool.

I have two classes on Wednesdays: Vocation of Ministry at 8 am and Kingdom, Church and World at 2:30. This are both classes that only meet once a week, which means they last 2 hours and 45 minutes. That's brutal. And did I mention they meet in the very same classroom. So I'm in once room for 6 hours out of the day on Wednesdays. And when the second one was over, I was having a very strong sense of deja vu. They're both very similar classes. They're both the core theology/ministry classes that everybody at Asbury has to take. Vocation of Ministry seems to me to focus on the personal call of, well, the vocation of ministry. The professor's extremely soft spoken, enough so that with late students straggling in and amidst shuffling papers, he's barely audible. There's about 70 students in the class, and he called roll and had everyone introduce themselves. Somehow the theme of college football preferences came up, so I felt obliged to brag that my brother won the Heisman. "Really?!" Great reaction. I hadn't planned on bringing up the divorced card, but someone just ahead of me had, so I figured we divorcees needed to stick together. First time I've brought that up in the twenty-some-odd "story times" from the last week. It was liberating in a way. We get split up into small groups and it looks like there's going to be lots of group work in this one.

Kingdom, Church and World felt strikingly similar. But I think this one's more looking at the big, general narrative of the Bible and looking at how our own stories fit into the kingdom story. More small groups, and these feel really forced. The prof even brings up the word "intimacy," and I'm thinking these are 838th perfect strangers I've met in the last week. Now don't get me wrong: I'm all about small groups. But I'm also all about natural, authentic relationships. This is just weird.

posted by Peter at 8:35 PM
| | permalink |