Thursday, October 28, 2004
Apocalypse now
Jeff IM's me today to ask if anything in my biblical studies prepares me for the impending apocalypse of the Red Sox winning the World Serious. I reply that I'm wearing a sandwich placard around campus today: "Repent! The end is near!"

Got back from softball tonight just in time for the fifth inning. 3-0 Sox. Renteria had just doubled. At the commercial I went back to my room to take a quick shower then headed back to the lounge in my dorm to watch the remainder of the game.

Just after the seventh-inning stretch a group of girls comes in to watch Jesus Christ Superstar on our projection TV. The dude who had organized this little shindig rightly discerned that there were those of us in the room that would have beat his ass to 1986 had he kicked us out of the last two innings of the Red Sox winning the Serious so he and the lady friends could watch Jesus the Freakin' Hippy Superstar.

I would also like to think that my wily wit and charm convinced the ladies to stay and watch history. They did with no complaints.

Bottom of the ninth. Three outs to go. I get up and go all Jonathan Edwards with a turn-or-burn sermon, get right with God now. Altar call and all. 37 people got saved.

Watching the Red Sox celebrate their first World Series in 86 years? Priceless.

John calls me after the game just to make sure I didn't get raptured.

So Jesus Christ Superstar was a trip, but that's the point, I gather. I'm thinking maybe we can discuss the Christology of Andrew Lloyd Webber in Church History tomorrow. Then again, maybe not.

It's a bit hard to top, though, when one's frame of reference is the "Jeeper Creepers" sketch from Mr. Show starring Jack Black as Jesus and David Cross as Judas.

Bonus points in my book for nearly making it Judas Iscariot Superstar with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders. Personally, I think Judas has gotten a pretty bum rap throughout history, and I'm reminded of the fantastic writings of Shusaku Endo on the subject. Of the twelve disciples, he's by far the most fascinating character to me.

Dr. Joel Green guest spoke today in Kingdom, Church and World. I got more out of that one lecture than in that entire class so far. Green is the Dean of Theology here at the seminary and a renowned NT scholar. For crying out loud, can he teach the class every week?

At one point, he's discussing a time he was teaching at a Baptist seminary in California. Apparently, a student or somebody had heard a Call from the Lord in the shower. Hadn't told their family. Hadn't told their congregation. They'd just heard their word from the Lord, and Dr. Green just couldn't get that.

Call comes from community. The biblical example of Paul shows someone who was chosen and sent out by his fellow believers, not because he came to them with some great burden or vision and was there to drum up financial support. The Call was given to the community for Paul.

It is a prescient topic for me as this subject of calling is a focal point in my Vocation of Ministry class. And, the burning question coursing through my cerebrum that I didn't have the opportunity to ask was this:

If calling is truly communal, then how much more should I be interested in, paying attention to and investing in your Call than my own?

Lightning has just struck my brain.

Have no fear. It doesn't hurt.

posted by Peter at 2:15 AM
| | permalink |