Tuesday, February 28, 2006
School's back in, sucka


I live a full life. Busy? I'm trying to think of it less as a hectic busy-ness and more like a satisfying fullness. I like it this way. Those that know me well, know that I ama raving lunatic perfectionist.

We're entering week 4 now of the spring semester, and I'm looking at my first paper of the term--an exegesis of 1 Samuel 7:2-4.

I'm taking 11 credit hours, 4 different classes. I'm really loving all four of them so far. To be honest, I haven't had a semester where I looked forward to all my classes quite so much. Here's the schedule run-down for the next several months...

Exegesis of 1 & 2 Samuel
Tuesday/Thursday 8:00 am

Yes, it is very early in the morning to be parsing Hebrew verbs. There is a wide variety of people in this class, from those taking it because they have to fill a 600-level exegesis class at some point to those totally geeked out Hebrew nerds who can't wait to start filling out their doctoral apps for Old Testament studies. So, sometimes it's a little slow going when the former group starts asking simple grammar questions. I'm not complaining, though, because my Hebrew needs the practice.

Christian Ethics
Tuesday/Thursday 9:30 am

I'm told its taught by one of the three premier professors on the faculty. I believe it. This is good stuff. Here's some soundbytes from my notes last Thursday on ethics from the Old Testament...
"Worship divorced from social responsibility is no worship at all."
"When God frees people, he frees them to be responsible within community, not their own independence."

Church History II
Tuesday/Thursday 1:00 p.m.

That's right. Each Tuesday and Thursday, I'm in class from 8 in the morning until 2:30 in the afternoon (there's chapel in there, too). It's just like going back to elementary school. This one is a continuation from the first semester of church history. After three weeks, we've finally moved on from Martin Luther and the German reformation.

Old Testament Theology

Wednesday/Friday 9:30

This is the fun one. Biblical theology with a B.C. bent. Light on the writing side; heavy on the reading side. So far, its been lots of stuff on the fathers and the scholastics and the unique angles they took to the Old Testament. Just reading tonight a homily by Origen on the Song of Solomon. Pretty wacky ideas, that Origen.

So there is what I'm filling my brain with for the next three months.

To the glory of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

posted by Peter at 1:12 AM
| | permalink |