Thursday, March 17, 2005
Tell me if thy name is Love
Excerpts from "Come, O Thou Traveler Unknown" by Charles Wesley, first published in 1742. It is Wesley's interpretation of Matthew Henry's exposition on Genesis 32, where Jacob wrestles with the messenger of YHWH:

.....
What though my shrinking flesh complain
and murmur to contend so long?
I rise superior to my pain:
when I am weak then I am strong,
and when my all of strength shall fail
I shall with the God-man prevail.
.....
My strength is gone, my nature dies,
I sink beneath thy weighty hand,
faint to revive, and fall to rise;
I fall, and yet by faith I stand;
I stand and will not let thee go
till I thy name, thy nature know.

Yield to me now--for I am weak
but confident in self-despair!
Speak to my heart, in blessing speak,
be conquered by my instant prayer;
speak, or thou never hence shalt move,
and tell me if thy name is Love.
.....

posted by Peter at 12:18 AM
| | permalink |