Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Mystery Worshipper strikes again and ponders Methodism
I seriously have to start going to bed earlier. It's not even an option. I'm too old for this up-till-2-up-at-7 crap. Because the up-till-2 nonsense means I don't stumble out of bed until 10. It's pathetic.

Visited FUMC of Lexington on Sunday. I swear, I had every intention of attending Sunday School. An Asbury OT professor teaches a class on the Old Testament. I wanted to see that. I couldn't get out of bed.

And of course, I was late for the service. I couldn't quite decipher where the front door was, so I wandered in the building, followed the signs for the sanctuary. There's the double doors and I hear an organ and singing. So, I discreetly swing open the door. Lo and behold, these doors are facing the congregation. God, can I make an entrance. Nonchalantly, exactly like I meant to do that, I slip to the back and find a seat in the heavy, dark-stained and ornate pews. The bulletin I've picked up says something to the effect of "Serving Lexington since 1789". A brief perusal of the age demographic suggests to me it ain't lasting much longer. To be fair, at the end of the service, I did see a handful of what could possibly have been UK students. It was a very traditional Methodist service scripted to a "T". Organ and choral music and hymns. Sermon was on prayer. Luke 11, I think. Obviously it made an impression.

Now, I'm a big, big fan of Church. When it comes to the catholic community of believers, count me in. I'm there. I'm not so sure what I think of this Methodist thing. I have no problem with Wesleyan theology (at least at this point), but then prior to coming to Asbury I really could not have told you what differentiated Methodism from anything else. This despite 20 years experience in a Methodist church.

I can't say I'm a fan at all of an institutionalized church. I've a buddy who spent the last two years on staff at a Methodist church, and that was enough to convince him that his future is in academia. He tells me the Methodist church today is right where the Church of England was in Wesley's day. In addition, a well-respected Methodist minister related to me that were he advising his son, he couldn't recommend the Methodist church. No telling where it will be in 20 years.

So, we'll just see where this little Asbury journey takes us.

posted by Peter at 1:47 AM
| | permalink |