Monday, October 04, 2004
Vincentian canon
I consider myself a bit late to the party when it comes to the "emerging church." Can't say I've formed as yet a well-formed opinion of it. I have concerns, mainly schismatic in nature. But I'm not in a position yet to know what I'm talking about to offer a well-rounded critique. Had a good, late talk with Creech last week with some emails regarding "emerging" and community transformation. Still chewing on those.

Reading Allister McGrath's Historical Theology last night for Church History and the following comment regarding Vincent de Lerins (died before 450) as relevant to the discussion, at least my own personal discussion:
He argues for a triple criterion by which authentic Christian teaching may be established: ecumenicity (being believed everywhere), antiquity (being believed always), and consent (being believed by all people (44).


Or as Vincent puts it himself:
Therefore, on account of the number and variety of errors, ther is a need for someone to lay down a rule for the interpretation of the prophets and the apostles in such a way that is directed by the rule of the Catholic church. Now in the Catholic church itself the greatest care is taken that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, and by all people (quod ubique, quod semper, quod ab omnibus creditum est).


The Gospel spans space and time. Our form of living in Christian community, that is how we do church, should be no different. The bottom line then becomes, what gives life? And not to me, but to those around me, whether I am sitting on the seminary library steps in central Kentucky, riding the DC Metro, walking through downtown Seattle, standing in the barrios of Tijuana or the adobe neighborhoods of N'Djamena.

On a related, I visited the Lexington Chinese Chrisitian Church. For my Vocation of Ministry I had to visit a non-English worship service before Wednesday. The sermon was in English and translated, while the music was standard hymns sung first in Mandarin and then English. Which led me wondering, are there original Chinese hymns? The congregation was 100 strong and extraordinarily friendly. There was a free lunch of authentic Chinese food. No Szechuan beef and broccoli. No sir, this was the real deal. John's plate contained a pair of calamari. I passed on those and enjoyed the meatballs without asking any details about what exactly I was consuming.

She beat me in tennis, 6-2, 5-7, 6-1 (I think). I know I won the second set 7-5, so I didn't embarrass myself too badly.

And the ironic thing in watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last week is that the birthday of the Lovely Ex was last week. Our four-year anniversary would have been last week, as well. I forgot both. Who needs Lacuna? Sheesh, this person was a significant part of my life for five years and I forgot her birthday. Should I have gotten her a card or something? Maybe it's a good thing.

Watch Sarah MacLachlan's latest video. Then wonder how much the guitar costs that she's strumming. Or the piano in the background that's no one is playing.

posted by Peter at 3:27 PM
| | permalink |