Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Progress
Been sucking on strawberry mentho-lyptus cough drops the past three days. Mmmm... strawberry mentho-lyptus. Feeling much better. Maybe 60%. To the average well person that's still dogsick, but I'm making progress. I think we're out of the woods, or some such idiom.

I have this habit of trying to do everything, and then vastly underestimating the desire of my body to sleep. I was up till 2:30 last night gettting caught up on reading and determined to get up at 7 for Ad Fontes work. The alarm went off at 6:45. I turned it off. Woke up at 11:30. No more lazy "I'm sick and need more sleep" excuses once I'm over this. Ha.

My right forearm feels so weird. Not the usual day-after soreness. Tennis is inventing new muscles in my arm. Either that or I was bitten by a radioactive spider and maybe in the morning I'll be able to spit sticky web goo stuff from my wrist. Man, that would be cool.

Scored 7 and blocked a shot in basketball tonight. We won. I could breathe afterwards. That makes all the difference in the world.

Such a gorgeous day today I was determined to work outside again. Found a spot between my dorm, the library and Stanger Hall (three wifi spots) in some succulent shade and had a grand time proofreading Greek tags in this 1636 document. That is, until I drained the laptop battery.

I came to a realization today. I have a good grasp on getting passionate about ideas, about abstract conceptions. But not people. This bothers me. Books, reading, ideas--I can get deep in these, drown myself even. But develop an affection, passion and concern for people, for God's kids... not there. Oh, the infatuation with the concept of loving people is definitely there. But stretching out to the individuals, to the flesh and blood souls I cross paths with on a constant basis needs a lot of work. Sure, I can give my life to teaching or pastoring or mentoring or whatever, but to give my life for God's kids.... hmmm.

Father, give me the grace to really love your kids, not just the idea of loving your kids.

posted by Peter at 1:01 AM
| | permalink |